Saturday, May 29, 2010

Victoria Sandwich

I was asked by my lovely husband to make a cake. A special cake, just for him. Specifically, a cake filled with cream. I do love cakes with cream in the middle so I agreed.

And the timing couldn't have been more perfect, as he asked just a few days before my copy of the Women's Weekly Sweet Old Fashioned Favourites arrived at my work book club. I had a quick flick through, and decided a Victoria Sandwich would do the trick nicely.

In all honesty, the recipe didn't actually have cream in the middle, only jam. But I figured since the jam was there already, cream would be fine.

Thoughts - not great. Not bad, but not great. Hubby was dissapointed first off because although it had cream like he has asked, it had no frosting on top. He also said it was like eating a slice of a very big scone. And he wasn't far wrong. The buttercake was a tad dry, and with the jam and cream it really was just like a big scone, but with one difference - vanilla extract. And you could really taste the vanilla extract. Usually vanilla is meant to be a subtle flavour, but in this cake it was a bit strong and as a result tasted a bit chemical, despite the fact I use a natural extract.

If I'm ever invited to a high tea I might consider making it again... maybe. But it feels more likely I'd try something different, in the hope I wouldn't be quite so dissapointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment