Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Welcome home cake


Hubby went on an overseas business trip recently, and I wanted to give him a special surprise when he got home. So I took a whack at the Exploding Stars cake from the Planet Cake book.
The cake itself is chocolate mud, from the Planet Cake recipe. This cake was surprisingly easy to make, but next time I plan to leave out the coffee. I found the coffee flavour too strong.
Under the fondant is a layer of ganache, which is supposed to help the cake keep its form under the layer of thick fondant. Honestly, I think I may have used too much. Once the fondant went on the surface of the cake became like play dough, the slightest touch left a dent, so I couldn't get the sharp edges that Planet Cake is so famous for, and on the whole my cake looks a but smushed.
Also, hubby returned home a day early to surprise me! This meant I never got time to fully complete the decorations. That said, the cake he was surprised with still looks pretty good, and I'm quite proud of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment