Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Salted caramel fudge

This week we sadly lost a dear family member, and although I wasn't as deeply affected as some others in my family, I was rather sad and I did find myself in search of a bit of comfort food. And for some reason fudge came to mind.


I went in search of a recipe for Irish Cream fudge I had made a few times before and really liked. But while searching I happened upon this recipe for salted caramel fudge. I remembered hearing that salt and sweet work really well together, so I decided to give it a try.


However sea salt flakes cost $8 a pack, and since I have no other real use for sea salt flakes I decided instead to use a teaspoon of ground sea salt, which I stirred into the fudge rather than sprinkling on the top.


This was super yummy. With the condensed milk, the brown sugar, the glucose syrup, the golden syrup and the white chocolate you expect it to be really sickly sweet, but that kick of salt really does take the edge off the sweetness so you're left with a lovely caramel flavour. Though it's not something you can eat a whole lot of, it is very rich, and the saltyness did leave me reaching for a big glass of water. But it certainly is very good comfort food, so just what I needed this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment