Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mum's Sweet Curry

My very first entry is an old recipe of my mums. And I mean old. I think it's from some ancient cookbook from the 1970's, back when curries always contained Keens Curry Powder, and before anyone realised curries came from India and Thailand. She used to make it all the time when I was a kid, and back then I never liked it. But now in my 20's I've grown fonder of it - it's become a comfort food for me. Last night was the first time I've ever made it myself, and in an attempt to work around the baby's sleeping patterns (or lack thereof) I made it in the slow cooker. Here's the recipe, as I cooked it:

1kg chuck steak, diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 sticks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tsp salt
2 tsp curry powder
1 tbs golden syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbs flour
1 can condensed tomato soup (I used Heinz Big Red)

Place meat, carrots, celery, onion and apple in slow cooker. Mix together flour, salt, curry powder, golden syrup, lemon juice and soup, add to the slow cooker and mix well. Cook on high for 4 hours.

Thoughts - like most things, it's better when mum makes it. That said, she usually cooks it on the stove, not the slow cooker. I found the meat went very dry and the sauce was very wet, but I find that's the case with most things I make in the slow cooker. I'll give it another whirl on the stove top. And I'll serve it with some better bread next time - the cheese and bacon rolls we ate on the side were a bit greasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment