Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lamb Casserole

The other day hubby brought home a fistful of different Maggi recipe bases to try and I've been slowly working my way through them. Last night we tried the "Cook In The Pot" Lamb Casserole.

He bought that one because it says on the front of the pack you can cook it in the slow cooker, but upon further reading I found you're supposed to use lamb shanks for that, and have you priced those lately? I chose the much more cost effective option of making it in the oven with lamb steaks I cubed myself.

I used 2 chopped carrots (packet asks for just one but they were quite small), 2 cubed potatoes, 500g of lamb steaks which I trimmed the fat off then cubed, a can of diced Italian tomatoes, and the packet. It probably asked for an onion as well, but onion made me very sick while I was pregnant and I'm yet to jump back on that horse. All I did was pop the meat and vegies in a casserole dish, stir together the tomatoes, the packet mix, and a 1/4 cup of water, then add that to the dish and mix it all together. Then I baked it in a 200c oven for 1 1/4 hours. I served it with some fresh bread rolls so we could sop up the sauce.

Thoughts - loved it!!!!! This was so good, I even went back for seconds, which is rare for me. My only complaint is that some of the larger potato chunks were a bit crunchy, so next time I'll chop the cubes smaller. But there will definitely be a next time because this was seriously easy and seriously yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment