Monday, October 26, 2009

Three cheese pasta bake

Last night for dinner we had the Dolmio three cheese pasta bake. I've made this a few times before but always found it rather bland and therefore not worth the calories. But this week I actually bothered to read the instructions on the side of the jar and discovered you're meant to put bacon in it. Must read instructions more often....

I used 2 1/2 cups of penne pasta, the jar of sauce, 150g of rindless bacon which I chopped, and about a cup of grated cheese on top. It's easy enough to make - you boil the pasta, stir in the sauce and bacon, sprinkle with cheese and bung it in the oven. Cheap too - I think all up I spent less than $10 on the ingredients. And the great part is that I was able to make it hours ahead then just do the oven part at dinner time. But I did find that the 15 minutes the jar specified was nowhere near long enough to properly melt the cheese, let alone make it all crispy. I ended up baking it for more like 25-30 minutes.

Thoughts - even with the bacon, I still found it bland. Hubby liked it, but he covered his with barbecue sauce so it's kind of hard to guage. I'll keep it in mind for a quick, cheap meal, but it won't be finding it's way into my regular cooking. Generally if I'm going to eat that many calories they need to be worth my while, and a dish this bland just isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment