Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gnocchi with caramelised pumpkin and sage sauce

Another recipe from 100 Pasta Favorites. I love pasta, and I love gnocchi as well, but I sometimes get frustrated that for the most part pasta means either a creamy, cheesy sauce or a tomato-based one. So when I spotted this one, which is mainly made of pumpkin, I just had to give it a go.

The recipe asked for fresh sage, but sadly the supermarket had none, and I had the little princess with me so going into the big shopping centre just for herbs wasn't on the cards. So instead I used ground, dried sage. Also the recipe called for 1/4 cup of chicken stock, and opening a carton of real stock to only use a sixth of it seemed really wasteful, so instead I dissolved a stock cube in 1/4 cup of water. Aside from that I used all the right ingredients - butternut pumpkin, brown sugar, a leek, and evaporated milk. Though I did accidentally buy full cream instead of low fat, it was still good.

Thoughts - this was basically like eating pumpkin soup with gnocchi in it. The recipe made way more sauce than was needed to coat 500g of potato gnocchi, so by the end I was scooping it out of the bowl, and hubby was sopping it with bread. But none of that was a bad thing. It was really yummy, and it will definitely be cooked again. And with the texture, I can probably feed the sauce to the little princess when she turns one and can handle those sorts of solids.

No comments:

Post a Comment