Sunday, December 27, 2009

Pastitsio

Tonights dinner was yet another recipe from 100 Pasta Favourites - I really love this book. It's essentially a layered pasta bake. The bottom layer is macaroni, with a little egg and parmesan. The middle is a beef sauce, kind of like a bolognese but with a hint of cinnamon. And the top layer is a bechamel cheese sauce.

I didn't have any beef stock cubes, so I substituted chicken stock. And I only used one onion, instead of the two the recipe asked for. And I ended up adding a dash of flour to the meat sauce to thicken it, because it was just taking forever.

This recipe involved a lot of everything - a lot of ingredients, a lot of time, and a lot of dirty dishes. And the end result was a lot of food. Far more than hubby and I could finish. Now that Little Princess is three months and can sit in her bumbo and watch me cook for short stretches of time, it was a little bit easier to cook it because I wasn't as limited to her nap time. But it's certainly not a recipe for the average working mum.

Thoughts - it was ok, but not great. Very edible, it had good flavour and was filling. A bit too much bechamel, but otherwise alright. But I just felt it wasn't worth the two hours it took me to make it, nor was it worth the two hours it took me to clean up afterwards. I certainly won't be making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment