Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Macaroni and cheese

I was watching an episode of Bones recently, and all through it one of the characters says multiple times how much he loves mac and cheese. I'd made it from packets before, but that show inspired me to try making it from a recipe.

Like all new mums I'm a teensy bit time poor so I opted for Nigella Lawson's recipe for mac and cheese from her book Nigella Express. It's a very simplified version of mac and cheese, you don't have to make a roux and wait for a sauce to thicken, you just combine the ingredients and bake it.

The recipe asked for either mature cheddar or red leicester cheese, so I opted for a block of Mainland Vintage Cheddar, because it was the cheapest of the vintage cheddars at the supermarket (and conveniently comes in a 250g block, which is exactly what the recipe asked for). It turns out I don't have any nutmeg so I used mixed spice instead, and as always I left out the salt and pepper. I feel that if you want those in your food, you can add them yourslf when you eat it.

Thoughts - nothing special. I really don't get why Seeley Booth was so nuts about this dish. I'm glad I used the vintage cheese because without it the dish would have been so BORING, but even with the vintage it was a bit bland. I think it works as a side dish, but not as a meal in itself. So it's one I'll keep in mind for barbecues this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment