Sunday, November 22, 2009

Salad!

I'm on a bit of a health kick at the moment.... kind of have a whole lot of weight I need to lose. So I'm trying to make some healthier dinners. I usually avoid salad like the plague, I really don't care for it at all. But I knew if I went looking for healthy options I'd just get inundated with suggestions of "eat a salad". So tonight I bit the bullet, and tried to fashion a salad I might actually find edible.

Generally speaking the only salad I can stomach is ceasar; not exactly the healthiest of options, so I tried to up the health factor by changing the ingredients a bit. I used a grilled chicken breast which I chopped into pieces, some rindless bacon which I chopped and cooked until it was crispy, some croutons from a packet, half an iceberg lettuce which I shredded, a grated carrot, a lebanese cucumber cut into little cubes, and a fat free ceasar dressing.

Thoughts - not bad. The mixture of ingredients tasted alright, and because of the chicken and bacon it was nice and filling. My only complaint is that, like all salads, it takes ages to eat. There's just so much chewing involved, so you can't eat in a hurry. That became a problem tonight when the little princess got hungry and tired and began to whinge. But then, it's not like dinner was going to go cold while I fed and settled her, because it was cold to begin with. It's definitely something I'll eat again. I may sometimes substitute the chicken for hard boiled eggs for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment